Edwin Powers Elliott, Sr., died February 26 in Manassas, Virginia, after a short illness. He was born November 8, 1914 in Pueblo, CO, the son of G.M. and Agnes Powers Elliott. He married Ellen Lee Bridewell of Donaldsonville, LA, in the Clifton Forge (VA) Presbyterian Church. His two sons are Dr. Edwin P. Elliott, Jr., a Presbyterian minister, and Francis Moxom Elliott, publisher of the Christian Observer.
Mr. Elliott graduated from high school in Clay Center, Kansas, and obtained an AB from William Jewel College, Liberty, MO, in 1939. In 1942 he obtained the BD from Louisville (KY) Presbyterian Seminary, later earning the Th.M. from Louisville in 1953. His master's dissertation was a study of the similarities and differences in techniques between Jesus and modern counselors.
He did additional graduate work at Union Theological Seminary (Richmond, VA), Union Seminary in New York, Biblical Seminary in New York, Gettysburg Lutheran Seminary, Pittsburgh Seminary, and the University of St. Andrews in Scotland.
Before he entered college Mr. Elliott worked in the YMCA and Crews Beggs Department Store in Pueblo.
During the time he was in Israel participating in an archaeological dig at Tel Ashdod, Mr. Elliott was part of the group which found the Sargon stone which Sargon set up to memorialize his conquest of Ashdod. In 1967 Mr. Elliott was the guest of the Rev. Milton Daugherty and visited the missions in what were known as the East and West Brazil Missions before the reorganization of the work of the Presbyterian Church (US).
Mr. Elliott pastored in Missouri, Kentucky, Virginia, New York, and Pennsylvania. During his ministerial career his credentials were in several denominations: Presbyterian Church in the U.S.; Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A.; United Presbyterian Church in the U.S.A.; Conservative Christian Congregational Conference; Vanguard Presbytery (a forerunner of the PCA); Presbyterian Church in America; Reformed Presbyterian Church in the U.S.; and Reformed Presbyterian Church (Hanover Presbytery). At the time of his death, he was still on staff at Reformed Presbyterian Church in Manassas, VA, a congregation which he founded in 1972. His son Edwin, Jr. joined him there in 1978, thus forming a unique father-son ministry team.
During his time working in New York, he planned and produced a television program titled, The Church at Work, which presented the work of the church outside the formal services in the building.
In 1973, he helped in the organization of the Presbyterian Church in America and was influential in the adoption of the denomination's first form of government.
He appreciated the counseling aspect of the pastor's work from the beginning of his ministry. In Pennsylvania he served on the State Board of Mental Health. After coming to Manassas he worked on the Virginia Governor's Study Commission to prove the need for a mental health center for Manassas and Prince William County. After it was organized he served on the board for a number of years.
Always an advocate of early childhood education, Mr. Elliott worked to see that the Manassas Presbyterian Church opened a kindergarten which is still going strong. It was integrated from the start and open to all people in the community.
Until his sight failed, Mr. Elliott was an active participant in the Western Prince William Ministerial Association. Avidly interested in music, Mr. Elliott participated in local music groups. He was a member of the Utica, NY, Symphony Orchestra and was one of the founders of the Manassas Community Concerts.
Because of his unusual blood type, Mr. Elliott was called upon to donate blood, especially on Saturday nights. On one occasion he gave enough blood in order totally to restore the blood in a new-born infant who was in critical condition.
His hobbies included a detailed study of Oriental
rugs. He made an excellent collection of early American pressed
glass. His home was furnished with antiques which he lovingly
and painstakingly restored.